Christmas is fast approaching and this means many social gatherings filled with indulgent food and alcohol. It’s important to continue to make good dietary choices over this period, to ensure your health is maintained to see you through the remainder of the year.
Weight gain is common over the festive season, due to a relaxed approach to social eating. You can still enjoy a social event and not feel isolated by following my top tips below.
- Eat a healthy meal prior to the event. This will fill you up and prevent you over indulging on high calorie party food and drinks.
- Choose a dish high in protein and fat such as salmon/avocado to ensure satiety.
- Where there’s a smorgasbord of desserts, choose 1 favourite and enjoy it.
- Get a good night’s sleep before the event. When fatigued, our body’s signal cravings for carbohydrates and sugary foods.
- If you plan to drink alcohol, take a B complex supplement prior to your social event. They have been found to reduce the effects of a hangover.
- Drink 1 glass of water after every glass of alcohol, to avoiddehydration.
- Drink Green tea the following day to support liver function and digestion.
- After an evening of indulgent food and drink, avoid eating until 1pm the following day. This intermittent fasting technique has been known to help reset your metabolism.
- The following morning after drinking alcohol it is important to consume a healthy concoction with the following ingredients to support detoxification ½ lemon juice, 1 lime juice, ½ cup paw paw, ½ cup pineapple, ½ cup spinach leaves, ginger 2cm rhizome, 1 x small purple carrot, 1 cup coconut water. Blend and enjoy
- Go for a long brisk walk the following day to aid your lymphatic system in the clearance of toxins
- On the following day, resume your healthy eating regime in preparation for the next social event!